Saturday, September 19, 2009

Caleb's Quilt


Caleb is already one year old, and it has taken me awhile (long) to finish his quilt that I started before he was born.









Just look at his face saying "Am'ma, what's taking so long, tears and all. I love the colors of this pic.











Here's my favorite man holding up the quilt for the pic. He also packaged it up and sent it off for me. I choose a vintage fire-truck material for the focus. Drawing from the colors of the fabric I added my accent fabrics. When I was trying to decide what to do in the corner pieces, the thought came to me Dalmatians, so that was the inspiration for the paw print and the dalmatian dots. I added a yellow fleece/soft fabric for the backing. I love the playfulness, but got a little speedy in machine sewing the whole thing together, and so my stitching isn't always "in the ditch" as I would like it to be. Slow down next time.










LOVE YOU!! Caleb

I hope it comforts you and snuggles you because I can't be there as often as I would like to comfort and snuggle you.










Here is close up of the quilt, Heidi showed me how to do paper piecing, and the results were fabulous, the points are all perfect. But I wouldn't to it again unless it is a very special project. It was so time consuming, glueing all the pieces to the paper, folding all the lines, sewing the lines, and then carefully removing all of the scrapes of paper. Perfect points, perfect matching of seams=lots of time.

Caleb--Enjoy!

2 comments:

T.J. Shelby said...

I think he'll love it! Nothing like a quilt from Grandma to snuggle up with during the upcoming cold Utah winter...

Nicole Shelby said...

He does love it.He sleeps with it every night, and every naptime. He doesn't know it's late. He just knows it makes him happy!