Sunday, October 19, 2008

I survived my food callings

My life has been sooo busy lately with my church calling which has revolved around food.  On Sept. 27 there was a General Women's broadcast from salt lake.  The Prophet has asked that we as women gather together to watch this broadcast so I elected to serve dinner before the meeting to bribe them to come together to watch.  My Presidency planned decoration, dinner and dessert for 150 (the first year I was in charge we planned for 100 and ran out of food, those of you that know me know that this is unacceptable) (for the previous 3 years they only had 50 sisters show up, I guess the advertising worked).  The room was full and the food never ran out, and the broadcast was wonderful and so uplifting so I consider it a success.

Then on October 11, I was asked to decorate, provide appetizers and dessert for 80 High Priests and their wives for a high priest meeting/fireside, the Trasks who have just returned home from serving 3 years as Mission President in the Philippines were to speak to us.  The tricky part of this was that the Shelby's were visiting since Thurs. because they are going to bless Caleb here tomorrow on Sunday, and I couldn't spend time with them on Sat because of the crazy schedule that I keep.  So with a fall theme and one councilor and my secretary out with issues (silly things like a new baby/Utah trip and new replacement surgery) I spent Sat. cooking and preparing the appetizer food for the evening myself then Amanda (Scott's better half) came over to help, my other co.  and sue with the bad knee baked two cakes each for me .  For appetizers I served mini sausages wrapped in biscuits, meatballs in sauce (another funny story, recipe said to mix grape jelly and chili sauce and pour over meatballs, when I started mixing the sauces I realized that I had bought cocktail sauce instead but I used it anyway, they were yummy and spicy, new recipe), I also whirled in the food processor sun dried tomatoes with cream cheese another keeper, also I made seven layer bean dip and served with spicy chips and regular chips, fruit, spinach dip with crackers, mixed nuts, and candy.  Then for dessert we made the cakes called better than everything, truly a mans dessert (bake a choc. cake, when cool poke holes with the back of a wooden spoon and then pour in 1 jar of carmel ice cream sauce, and 1 can sweetened condensed milk, and refrigerate for a couple of hours to soak in, then top with cool whip and sprinkle with heath bar pieces, cut and serve more than yummy.  Needless to say there was lots of food only about 50 showed up, lots of food to send home with the interested.

Then finally Thursday night we had our Leadership meeting where we meet with the Primary/Young women and Relief Society leaders for opening exercises and then separate into departments.  We (the RS) were in charge of refreshments for 100 for the evening, plus to provide a meaningful meeting to help the very busy RS pres. with their calling.   So it was another busy cooking filled event.  I baked 200 cookies and Heidi Broberg purchased 100 cookies which we served with milk or ice water.  We didn't run out (always a plus) and the night went very smoothly.  I think that i'm done with serving and preparing food for the church, at least for this year.  

This calling (just in case Stake Relief Society President) has been very different than any that I have held before, lots of conducting, lots of being in front (not my favorite), lots of meetings, lots of hostessing (is that a word), lots of food prep and serving and lots and lots of speaking (I have given more talks in the past two years than all the other years put together).  The amazing thing is that it's just me and I find that weird that people treat me different, so I won't tell them it's still just me.

All in all it's been a very growing calling, both spiritually and emotionally, and I am so thankful to the Lord for his trust and constant guidance.  Thank you.

4 comments:

Nicole Shelby said...

HA! They knew what they were doing when they called you.

They thought...hm...we need someone that can make awesome food for however many people we want...who can it be? who? oh yes! connie! she's the best hostesser we know. ( i like that word. implies much more than just a regular home-hostess).

i can't say for certain about the other events (but i could guess positively) - the food for the high priest's thing was awesome! we thoroughly enjoyed it the next day for caleb's party.

we knew coming up you'd be busy. it was actually very fascinating running errands with you and seeing your culinary creative processes.

love ya.

Jodi Jean said...

of course you survived ... you are the best hostesser i know (heidi is trying to catch up tho, sheesh ... did you read about her hulaween party ... madness i tell ya! she volunteers herself for that tho, so i dub her crazy!)

i'd never vote you off the island ... you are the best cook/chef/baker/culinary artist EVER!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE ya mom!!

Rebecca said...

I am so thankful everyday that I had you as an example in my youth. You are so amazing, and taught me the true meaning of fulfilling a calling, and you're still doing it now! THank you for being so amazing.

Heidi Maloy said...

I agree- Mom, you are amazing and have always been a wonderful example in so many different ways!! I'm glad you survived, and that you will have a break for awhile, how about you come and visit me, and I'll feed you! Yes? Oh, good! See ya soon! Love ya...

and Jodi, I learned from the best- what do you expect? Only two more parties to go for me (both Friday)...