Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Great Friends

Closest Picture I could find of Midas being in a  Sunday Outfit (at Mark's senior show at Cal Poly).  The reason for this decision is to thank him for all he has done for his ward (hey, I'm not even in his ward).  Ken was released as Bishop last Sunday, Sept. 7 he is truly one of the most spiritual men that I know, always serving with a true love of the Lords work and always giving his all.  He is an inspiration to me.  Thanks for being such a great example!



Before I continue with my summer escapades, I want to spend a few minutes blogging about one of my greatest gifts, my friends whom I shall call by the name given them from my son-in-law "The Midas'" I guess that makes Lisa--Danae (Midas' wife)!  They have been my sanity for the past 19 years.  When ever life is crazy and Mark and I need a safe harbor (boat reference, ha ha) we enjoy the company of truly great friends.  OK, so we also enjoy them in calm, or whenever we can find the time to get together with them.  
 They called us up on Friday 29th and invited us to go kayaking with them the next day, they had their sail boat docked in Newport, YES was the immediate answer.  Our son was visiting and later he called to see if he could come along because his wife had to work.  Now a double pleasure.  The Midas' had two double kayaks so Scott needed to rent one, and then off we went for an adventure in the deep blue sea.  The weather was wonderful the ocean was gorgeous  and off we went.  This was Mark's and my first time in a Kayak together it took me a minute to figure it out and a little frustration on my part because i just wanted to know how to make the boat do what i wanted immediately, but very soon we were in unison.  Out of the jetty and into the ocean and down the coast.  I saw sea lions lots of seaweed and a fish jump out of the water, and oh yeah, lots and lots of houses that were just too big, but they were amazing.   About 2 1/2 hours later we were back at the dock, a little red, and allot sore, but very content.  We then headed for the beach for a rest and chat.  Amanda joined us for dinner at a little Mexican restaurant and then with perfect timing a call from BJ's pizza where we had left our name so we headed there for dessert (not needed, but thoroughly enjoyed) for the pizza cookie sundaes, yum, yum.  What a great day, wonderful friends and family too.

5 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

i'm so glad you have such great friends in your life!! what a blessing. i hope robby and i find that someday. your kayaking adventure sounds fabulous ... and what could be better than ending the evening with great food?

Heidi Maloy said...

Great blog... I think maybe you've been converted to the bloggin world. We love the "midas'" too! What a fun day...

Nicole Shelby said...

the midas' have been a big part of your/our lives for a long time. i'm glad that relationship didn't fade away.
> even though king midas always took a perverse pleasure in giving me a hard time!

i'll bet he's pleased to be released!

and your kayaking adventure sounds awesome!

Jodi Jean said...

wait ... nicole mentioned king midas was released ... ?!

i guess it has been awhile, considering he married rob and i 5 years ago!!! sheesh.

Ken said...

we are the ones who have been blessed greatly by your family and friendship. my patriarchal blessing says i'll have a blessed life because of wonderful friends...this is so true.

nicole...i only tease those i love!

jodi...yes, i a free man once again! has it been five years already? wow! good job you and rob are doing great.

heidi...we love your family. now, move back to california where you belong! ;-)

thanks connie for the kind words. i'm not sure i earned them but thank you and i'll try to live up to them.

now, when and what is our next big adventure?