Wednesday, July 29, 2009

American Lion

Here is the latest post from Mark:

I was given the book "American Lion - Andrew Jackson in the White House" (Jon Meacham, Random House paperback 2009) as a gift for Father's Day from my son. I had hinted that I would like it. It has been a wonderful read. I am about a fourth of the way through it. Here is a couple of 'fun' facts that you may not be aware of: he was the 7th president of the United States. He was in his early 60's when he took office. His wife passed away suddenly just a few weeks before the inauguration ceremonies. His niece (in her mid 20's) took over the duties of the first lady (hostess and such).He carried around a bullet in his shoulder that he received in a dual where he had killed the other man - it often caused internal bleeding. His opponents thought that he would not be healthy enough to take office, much less make to fill a second term. He made many changes that truly made our government more one of the people (instead of the 'aristocrats'). The thing that I like especially about this book, and others that I have read that are like it (Lincoln, Truman, John Adams, 1776), is that it gives a sense of everyone else that was important at the time and what was going on in the country - not just about the man. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical books.
Andrew Jackson
here is a link to another review of the book

1 comment:

Christopher Maloy said...

Nice recommendation. Added to my to-read list.