Friday, July 31, 2009

Argentine Licuado

The latest post from Mark: When I was a young man on a mission in Argentina, I would often go to a street vendor and purchase something that was called a "licuado". They would have blenders and bins full of cut up fruit and whip us up a frozen beverage that was very refreshing! When I returned to the states and later was married I missed the licuado and created my own recipe from the memory of what I saw them put into the blender. It was very simple:
first I start with ripe fruit. Bananas are my favorite. I also really like apricots, peaches, and strawberries. Use whatever is on hand (and about to be thrown out for being over-ripe!) Two bananas are just right. Use the equivalent amount of other fruits












In the blender: pour just enough milk to cover the blades. Then add your fruit. Add some sugar - I just pour some in - about a quarter of a cup. Begin to blend. Hint: if it doesn't want to blend at first, try the "pulse" or "chop" setting.











Get some ice ready in a bowl (16 to 20 cubes as pictured). Add the ice to the running blender one at a time.










The licuado will begin to 'thicken'. When it is the consistency of a milkshake then you know that you have added enough ice!




Now comes the good part. Pour the licuado into two tall glasses . . .



















and . . .








Enjoy!!!!

If you don't have a blender - here is a website to help you pick one out. If you think you need the 12,000 dollar one, I recommend that you take a trip to Argentina instead!!

1 comment:

Scott H. said...

Yum! I love licuados!