Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pecan Graham Cracker Chewy Bars

I have promised several people that I would get them the recipe for these yummy bars (finally posted Danielle). So when I made them to take to the 4th of July celebration I took a couple of pics while I was cooking (sort of Pioneer Womenisk) (is that a word?) This recipe is adapted from a cook book "Celebrating With Julienne". They have a pecan pie taste with a great toffee undertone and a really yummy crunch from the graham crackers. Make and enjoy, if your lucky enough to get one, they were all gone after the pot luck and I didn't take one to munch on so I guess I'll be making some for me to eat! The complete recipe is at the bottom of the post.

Some of the ingredients, the major ones anyway, I assume you have the basics of the rest in your pantry. ie: salt, flour, baking powder and powdered sugar, that's it.
This is how I get my crumbs. Good ole zip lock bag and a rolling pin. Yeah, no mess.
Graham crumbs, butter, sugar and flour, this makes up the crust. I just mix with my mixer and then press firmly into a 9x13 pan, I used a glass one.
While the crust is cooking I whip up the this rich custard filling. If you noticed I didn't clean the bowl after the crust because the filling has some graham crumbs in it also.
Oh these pretty pecans, such pretty halves. Soon to be in pieces.
When the crust is done pour the filling right onto the crust and then just slide it back into the oven for the custard to cook.
Almost there.
If you could smell my kitchen it would make you happy.
I added a dusting of powdered sugar to the top, this hides any uneven surfaces, oh, I didn't have any, it still tastes great with this added addition. Cut when cool and enjoy, then watch the faces of those enjoying as they taste all of great flavors and smile, smile, smile.

Graham Cracker Chewy Bars

From Julienne’s bakery in San Marino

Crust:

3 cups graham cracker crumbs (2 pkgs)

¾ (1 ½ sticks) butter, at room temp.

¼ cup sugar

2 tbsp. flour

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar, and flour until moist and well-blended. Press the mixture firmly and evenly over the bottom of a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan. Bake until the crust is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Do not over-bake the crust.

Topping:

2 ½ cups brown sugar

4 extra-large eggs

2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs

2 tsp. vanilla extract

¾ tsp. salt

½ tsp. baking power

1 cup pecans, chopped

1 prepared crust

Powdered sugar, to sift over the top.

1. While the crust is baking, in a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and eggs to blend. Whisk in the graham cracker crumbs, vanilla, salt, and baking powder until well-blended. Stir in the pecans.

2 2. Spread the mixture over the baked crust and return to the 350-degree oven until the filling is dark-golden on top and jiggles slightly when tapped, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and cool completely.

3. Sprinkle a light coating of sifted powdered sugar over the pan, cut into 24 bars. The bars can be made 1 day in advance. Wrap in plastic and keep at room temperature.

1 comment:

Nicole Shelby said...

Look at you Cooking Mama